The #2022APPAM Fall Research Conference will feature some fantastic sponsors from across the policy research spectrum. Today we're shining a spotlight on the Trachtenberg School of Public Policy and Public Administration, George Washington University.
What programs does your school offer?
MPA, MPP, MA in Environmental Resource Policy, PHD, and Certificates in Nonprofit Management, Budget & Public Finance, and Environmental Resource Policy. We also have joint programs with Data Science, Law, and the Business School.
What would you list as your school's greatest accomplishments in the last 5-10 years?
Accomplishments of our students, alumni and faculty are built upon our broad and deep educational programs, scholarship, culture of caring for one another, and service. TSPPPA graduates have successful careers making positive differences in their communities. Our accomplishments are evidenced, in part, by the awards received by our faculty and our rankings. For example, our 2022 rankings by U.S. News and World Report are: #12 in Public Affairs Schools, Global Policy 6th, Homeland Security and Emergency Management 7th (tie), Public Management and Leadership 8th (tie), Health Policy 9th (tie), Public Finance and Budgeting 11th, Public Policy Analysis 17th, Non-Profit Management 18th (tie), Urban Policy 18th (tie), and Social Policy 20th.
Why should potential students choose your school or program?
We set our students up for success from day one, offering engaged faculty (leaders in their field who are very responsive to student needs), comprehensive student services support, and career services that meet students where they are and take them where they want to go.
- As a student at TSPPPA, you can integrate professional experiences with rigorous academic courses taught by experts.
- You can take advantage of flexible programs tailored to meet your needs with options for full time or part time study, evening and daytime classes.
- Our alumni will help you. We have a highly engaged and responsive alumni network that includes leaders in DC, across the US, and around the globe.
- We are located near the White House. You can easily access many government and nonprofit agencies with good transportation options for work, volunteer, and social engagements in DC, MD, VA and elsewhere.
- TSPPPA has a proven return on investment with 95% of recent graduates employed, pursuing higher education or not searching within 6 months of graduation and with the #4 highest post-grad median salary by gradreports.com.
- As a TSPPPA grad, you have career services for life. Many alumni are still actively engaged with the school long after graduation as mentors and to seek support for furthering their career goals.
What is your undergraduate/graduate divide?
We only offer graduate and doctoral programs.
What advice do you have for prospective students?
We encourage prospective students to talk to alumni, faculty, staff and current students to get a range of perspectives and insights into options available and what matters in choosing a program, as well as how to best position themselves at the application stage and take advantage of opportunities if accepted. When you know what you’re bringing to the program and what you hope to take away, you can better align a program to your needs and goals. We see the graduate school experience as mutually beneficial to students and TSPPPA. Consider why a school would want to support your professional journey and leverage that during your search and decision-making. Also, consider your desired return on investment and likelihood of achieving your goals. For example, if future employment is a consideration, look at where graduates are employed, how long it took them to find their desired position, and available support systems for students seeking jobs and building their resumes.