- Master of Public Policy (MPP)
PhD in Public Policy
We offer variety of specializations in both degree programs so that students can create a path tailored to their policy interests.
What would you list as your school's greatest accomplishments in the last 5-10 years?
- Growing our faculty and student cohorts.
- Offering timely courses that address social justice equity.
- Watching alumni achieve high ranking positions in local, state, and federal government.
- Starting new fellowships to offer students support.
- Hosting Public Policy camp, allowing us to introduce the field of Public Policy to underrepresented communities.
Why should potential students choose your school or program?
- Students learn to examine the critical problems of society and learn how to identify and implement solutions.
- Students gain tools necessary to develop and analyze public policies, and influence the public policy process.
- The University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC) has been in the vanguard of public policy education since establishing the public policy graduate program in 1974.
- UMBC has one of the most diverse campuses in the nation and we value the richness that such diversity brings to campus life.
- Our program is interdisciplinary, drawing from economics, education, sociology, political science and policy analysis.
- UMBC’s proximity to federal and state government offices provides an ideal setting for training, internships, research, and employment opportunities.
- Our students come from all backgrounds and experience. Some students come directly from undergraduate work, some are exploring mid-career shifts, and others are returning to school after retiring.
If you are hiring, what makes your school a great place to work?
Dedication to equity and inclusion - from hiring practices to faculty research projects to course content. As part of UMBC, there is a wonderful feeling of community here, and signs everywhere that university leadership cares about each of its employees and students. Students bring a great energy to campus.
What is your undergraduate/graduate divide?
We offer only graduate programs, but offer course enrollment to undergraduate students participating in our BA/MPP Accelerated Pathways program.
Is there any other information you'd like us to include in your Spotlight?
All courses are held in the late afternoon or evening, allowing students to work full-time or pursue graduate or research assistantships. We offer part-time and full-time schedules to cater to students' schedules