APPAM Equity & Inclusion Fellowship 2021 Young Professional
New in 2021, APPAM is expanding the Fellowship to support young professionals.
The APPAM Equity & Inclusion Young Professional Fellowship will support up 5 young professionals from traditionally underrepresented backgrounds at the APPAM Fall Research Conference. Applicants must be within 5 years of receiving their Masters or PhD Degrees. The recipients will be recognized for their accomplishments and will also have opportunities to formally network with each other, Student Equity and Inclusion Fellowship Recipients and with members of the Policy Council and Diversity Committee. They will also have many opportunities to informally network with other students and professionals during the conference.
- Young professionals within 5 years of receiving their PhD or Master's degree (i.e. degrees received in 2016 and after)
- Current PhD students that have received their Masters are not eligible to apply. Applicants cannot be current part-time or full-time students unless they will have graduated by the time of the conference.
- Past Equity and Inclusion Fellows are eligible to apply.
- Must be able to attend the 2021 APPAM Fall Research Conference, November 11 - 13, 2021, in Austin, Texas.
- Applicants must be members of a minority group that is significantly underrepresented in public policy, such as racial or ethnic groups or the LGBTQI community, as indicated in the voluntary demographic information section of the application.
All Young Professional Equity and Inclusion Students Fellows will receive:
- 2021 Fall Research Conference Registration Fee
- A scholarship in the amount of $1000 to offset costs of transportation (air and ground) as well as meals during the conference
- Two nights' accommodations at the JW Marriott Austin Hotel in Austin, Texas (November 11 - 13, 2021)
- A meet and greet luncheon for 2020 and 2021 APPAM Fellowship recipients. Members of the APPAM Policy Council will be invited to join as well.
- A Thursday evening meet-and-greet for past and present fellows
The application period for 2021 will open on April 1, 2021.
Applications must include the following:
- Completed questionnaire
- CV or resume
- Completed short answer section
- Letter of recommendation/support.
Short Answer Questions
- What topics or areas does your research target?
What does equity and inclusion mean to you? What role can APPAM play in fostering equity and inclusion? (You should also touch on how your background, life experience, and/or scholarship will bring greater diversity to the policy field.)
How do you see yourself contributing to APPAM?
- Why do you think APPAM is the best place for you to further your research? How will attending the 2021 APPAM Fall Research Conference and becoming an APPAM Member benefit you and contribute to your career goals?
- If you are a previous recipient of an APPAM Equity and Inclusion Fellowship, how did APPAM and attending the Fall Research Conference affect your education and professional development? How will this Fellowship help to further your goals?
For more information about the 2021 Equity & Inclusion Fellowship, please contact Leslie Ofori.