They will also have many opportunities to informally network with other students and engage in mentoring activities with professionals during the conference. The goal of this fellowship program is to introduce recipients to the world of public policy and APPAM, and foster a lifelong affiliation and engagement with both.
- PhD or Master’s students enrolled in a policy related program at an institution of higher education.
- Must be able to attend the 2017 APPAM Fall Research Conference, November 2 - 4, 2017, in Chicago, IL.
- Applicants must be able to commit to 2 - 4 hours of volunteering at the 2017 Fall Research Conference. Volunteer activities include, but are not limited to, session blogging/live tweeting, performing room counts, and drafting session summaries.
- Student applicants must be members of a minority group that is significantly under-represented in public policy, such as racial or ethnic groups or the LGBTQQ community, as indicated in the voluntary demographic information section of this application.
Applications for the 2017 Equity & Inclusion Fellowship must include the following:
- Completed questionnaire
- CV or resume
- A 750-word statement on the student’s academic training and professional goals, why attending the APPAM Fall Research Conference is important to their professional development, and how they see themselves contributing to the APPAM community now and in the future. Applicants should also touch on how their background, life experience, and/or scholarship will bring greater diversity to the field.
- Letter of recommendation/support from a professor
All of the following required items, outside of the online questionnaire, must be sent as email attachments to Tara Sheehan, APPAM Executive Director. Completed applications, including email attachments and online questionnaire, must be submitted by July 31st.
Begin the application questionnaire using this link.
Fellowship recipients will receive the following:
- 2017 Fall Research Conference Registration Fee
- A scholarship in the amount of $599 to offset costs of transportation (air and ground) as well as meals during the conference
- Two nights' accommodations at the Hyatt Regency, Chicago (November 2 - 4, 2017)
- A meet and greet luncheon for APPAM Student Fellowship recipients. Members of the APPAM Policy Council will be invited to join as well. The APPAM Diversity Committee, in conjunction with APPAM staff, will plan a short program during the luncheon.
- Each fellowship recipient will be paired with an APPAM institutional or professional member who has volunteered to mentor these students in a one-on-one capacity. The mentoring matches will have the opportunity to meet onsite during the 2017 Fall Research Conference.
For more information about the 2017 Equity & Inclusion Fellowship, please contact Tara Sheehan.
Equity & Inclusion Student Fellowship 2017