Equity & Inclusion Student Fellowship 2020
The 2020 Equity & Inclusion Fellowship will support the travel and participation of up to 40 students from traditionally underrepresented backgrounds at the 2020 APPAM Fall Research Conference, November 12 - 14, in Washington, DC. While at the conference, the fellowship recipients will have the opportunity to formally network with each other and with members of the Policy Council and Diversity Committee at a Fellowship Luncheon recognizing them and their accomplishments.
Fellowship recipients will also have many opportunities to informally network with other students and engage in mentoring activities with professionals during the conference. The goal of this fellowship program is to introduce recipients to the world of public policy and APPAM, and foster a lifelong affiliation and engagement with both.
- PhD or Master’s students enrolled in a policy related program at an institution of higher education.
- Must be able to attend 2020 APPAM Fall Research Conference, November 12 - 14, in Washington, DC.
- Student applicants must be members of a demographic that is significantly underrepresented in public policy, such as racial or ethnic groups or the LGBTQ community, as indicated in the voluntary demographic information section of this application.
Applications for the 2020 Equity & Inclusion Fellowship are sent thorugh this application
and require the following:
- CV or resume
- A 750-word statement on the student’s academic training and professional goals, why attending the APPAM Fall Research Conference is important to their professional development, and how they see themselves contributing to the APPAM community now and in the future. Applicants should also touch on how their background, life experience, and/or scholarship will bring greater diversity to the field.
- Letter of recommendation/support from a professor
Fellowship recipients will receive the following:
- 2020 APPAM Fall Research Conference Registration Fee
- A scholarship in the amount of $599 to offset costs of transportation (air and ground) as well as meals during the conference
- Two nights' accommodations Marriott Wardman Park Hotel (November 12 - 14, 2020)
- A meet and greet luncheon for APPAM Student Fellowship recipients. (Friday)
- A meetup for past and present Fellows (Thursday night)
- Opportunity to join APPAM's Mentor Match program. This program matches student members with professional members to connect one-on-one regarding professional development topics. This will be available only to students that indicate that they want mentorship
For more information about the 2020 Equity & Inclusion Fellowship, please contact Leslie Ofori.