APPAM Equity & Inclusion Student Fellowship 2021 Student
In an effort to encourage participation by underrepresented students in APPAM and its activities, the AAPAM Policy Council and APPAM’s Diversity Committee created the APPAM Equity & Inclusion Student Fellowship in April 2016. The fellowship supports the travel and participation of up to 40 students from traditionally underrepresented backgrounds at the APPAM Fall Research Conference. To date, APPAM has awarded over 150 Student Fellowships. The recipients will be recognized for their accomplishments and will also have opportunities to formally network with each other, Young Professional Equity and Inclusion Fellowship recipients and with members of the Policy Council and Diversity Committee. They will also have many opportunities to informally network with other students and professionals during the conference.
- PhD or Master’s students enrolled in a policy related program at an institution of higher education
- Applicants for the student Fellowship must be a student at the time of the Fall Conference
- Current students that will have graduated by the time of the Fall Conference should apply for the Young Professionals Equity & Inclusion Fellowship
- Must be able to attend the 2021 APPAM Fall Research Conference, November 11 - 13, 2021, in Austin, Texas.
- Applicants must be members of a minority group that is significantly underrepresented in public policy, such as racial or ethnic groups or the LGBTQI community, as indicated in the voluntary demographic information section of the application.
All Equity and Inclusion Students Fellows will receive:
- 2021 Fall Research Conference Registration Fee
- A scholarship in the amount of $599 to offset costs of transportation (air and ground) as well as meals during the conference
- Two nights' accommodations at the JW Marriott Austin Hotel in Austin, Texas (November 11 - 13, 2021)
- A meet and greet luncheon for 2020 and 2021 APPAM Fellowship recipients. Members of the APPAM Policy Council will be invited to join as well.
- A Thursday evening meet-and-greet for past and present fellows
- Opportunity to join APPAM's Mentor Match program. This program matches student members with professional members to connect one-on-one regarding professional development topics. This will be available only to students that indicate that they want mentorship.
Applications must include the following:
- Completed questionnaire
- CV or resume
- Completed short answer section
- Letter of recommendation/support.
Short Answer Questions
- What topics or areas does your research target?
What does equity and inclusion mean to you? What role can APPAM play in fostering equity and inclusion?(You should also touch on how your background, life experience, and/or scholarship will bring greater diversity to the policy field.)
- How do you see yourself contributing to APPAM?
- Why do you think APPAM is the best place for you to further your research? How will attending the 2021 APPAM Fall Research Conference and becoming an APPAM Member benefit you and contribute to your education and career goals?
For more information about the 2021 Equity & Inclusion Fellowship, please contact Leslie Ofori.
Meet the 2020 Fellows.
Meet the 2019 Fellows.
Meet the 2018 Fellows.
Meet the 2017 Fellows.
Meet the 2016 Fellows.